Translate

Thursday 26 February 2015

Lesson in Biking

We started biking a few weeks ago. Though it is a bit hard to cycle around the city center, we have found the perfect route going to work. We also discovered some areas that are perfect for cycling exercise such Punggol Waterpark and Bishan Park. We were ecstatic and energetic during the first few weeks. We put it on our daily schedule and we didn't mind the physical tiredness. We were on high!


However, last week, our daily plan didn't work out. We were so tired to wake up early in the morning and too lazy to bike around at night. We had excuses and so for the whole week, we lazed around and ignored our bikes.

After our quick Chinese New Year getaway, we decided to start biking again last Saturday. After a few minutes though, my husband started panting and he couldn't breathe. He turned pale and he said he couldn't go on anymore. We needed to go back and rest. I was disappointed but my husband's welfare is more important. We promised to go back to our regular schedule this week.

Monday morning, we went off at 6am. I was slow and my pedals were too heavy. I know I was back to zero and my body has forgotten what it's like to bike. I was struggling the whole time. However, I tried and succeeded.

While biking, I was able to think about something- something that has to do with my inner life.

When I first became a Christian, a follower of Christ, I was energetic and excited in spending time with Him. Everyday was a new and fresh day to learn from the Bible. I was on high! I know this is also true for a lot of followers of Christ. Our new relationship with Him has brought us into a deeper level of spiritual experience.

However, as we go along, we experience trials and busyness crept in our daily schedule. The word became dull and prayer seemed to be a challenge. We opted for things of lesser value and we became cold. Spiritual activities become dragging. We all experienced this.

Like biking again, we need to consciously go back and allow ourselves to experience God again in spite of the difficulty in starting over again. The journey is difficult and sometimes, it is easier to just go with the flow. We need exercise but more so, we need God in our lives. The devil may tempt us to just lazed around- watch TV, browse Facebook and Instagram and just go on without spending quality time with the Lord. Do not be deceived. We need to go on and rise above ourselves and our mediocrity.

Without exercise (biking, on my case), I will continue to gain weight and forget the advantage of physical activities. I will go on accepting who I am without doing something. Without time with God, we will remain as we are- shallow and unwilling to go deeper in our obedience and service for God.

Ephesians 3:13b-14
"...forgetting the past and looking to what lies ahead. I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great Blog.

    ReplyDelete