Translate

Friday 12 April 2013

Thoughts on Wedding Preparation



After being married for about a month now, I consider myself as an ex-bride. As an “ex-bride”, I know the feeling of being busy for months for that one special day. Who wouldn’t want to have a grand and beautiful wedding? But my then-fiance and I know that we have limitations (budget is the big issue) and so we worked hard in stretching our resources and talents to pull out a nice wedding.

Now I looked back and I’d say, I hope I relaxed more and maybe to not be too idealistic. After all, hindi lahat ng gusto ko nasunod. But I can still say that I had a beautiful and meaningful wedding. It wasn’t grand but it was beautiful in its own way.  It wasn’t too hot (it rained a bit in the afternoon). The people who love us were there and rejoiced with us. And most of all, we know that we have given God the honor that He deserved. Our day wasn’t really ours but His.

And so, here are my few thoughts on my wedding preparation. I hope that my future bride-friends would be inspired and would learn something from this. 

Negative:
*I wish I spent less on “little things”. I spent hours in researching and managed to create a folder of ideas for our wedding. I discussed them with my then-fiance and with my friends as well. The researching is good but I guess some of the ideas were not really that important.

Remember: Things can be simpler but grand on its way.

*I wish I did not just research on wedding ideas but on wedding forums as well. Maybe I was able to get great deals from good suppliers. Yes, I had mistakes on just trusting people in Divisoria for my wedding gown! (Beware of Nikki’s Bridal Shop in 168-they cannot be trusted!)

Remember: Ask questions. Research. Read.

Positive:
* DIYs. It stretched my artistic abilities (if there’s-any). My mom helped a lot with my projects. I would do the model and she would mass produce it for me. And I think we did a good job J

DIY Pillow 

DIY Cord. 
My mom made all of these. Nagkanda pasopaso ang mga kamay nya! 
Boutonnieres--nakailang revise din ito! :P
My idea--but my mom did all these paper designs for the  wedding ceremony. 
We collected wine bottles for the VIP table and transported 21 chunks of wood from Quezon!
My mom and I made all the bottles for table numbers and LOVE design. 
I made these Mr and Mrs Sign 

DIY Bible Cover
 Remember: Do-it-Yourself is always the best. But if you don’t have the time and have the money, go find a pro to do the little stuff for you.

*Booking early. We had discounts and freebies because we booked early!  (There is a disadvantage with this also pero mas maraming advantage!) Better start early than ma-stress kapag malapit na. We also had our pre-nup shoot done early so we are still looking fresh J Hehehe

Remember: Do know what you want ahead of time. Pick a theme and decide on your venue (church, garden, backyard etc). Determine the number of your guests so that you’ll know what venue to choose.
 I think you have to choose a coordinator ahead of time (if it is included in your budget so she can help you find the right venue)

*Buying stuff that we could use again. I had two shoes for my wedding but I can use them both in many occasions. I chose brown for the high-heels. I can use it in the office and formal occasions. I chose the celebracion fleur of suelas—it was comfy and beautiful! Hindi sila mukhang wedding shoes.
 
Got this on sale and then my then-fiance gave me a flat shoes as a wedding gift. Check the Suelas  for Celebracion. They have 3 designs for flat shoes. 
Nems chose his own suit-with the idea in mind that he'll be able to to use them all again—shoes, suit, the tie etc. Hindi sayang.

We bought little decorative-stuff that we can use again. (Yeah, we bought many—which is a mistake pero we can still use them naman. So wala pa ding sayang).

Remember: Expensive isn’t always bad—but make sure you’d use them again ;)

*Find friends in the wedding industry.  I guess, I was blessed to have friends in the wedding industry that I can asked. My coordinator is a friend of mine in college (Styled Celebration by Kits Diaz) and she referred me a supplier for photo and video (JP Recodo for PHOTO|GRAPH). Kits and my two friends in college went with me in Mt. Manalmon for our pre-nup pictures J She referred me to a good make-up artist na swak sa budget ko etc. etc.

Remember: Friends can help you (whether or not they are in the industry). 

*Finding the right venue and caterer. It was really a blessing to have known Shekinah Dishes. They do event styling for free and they were easy to talk with.

Remember: It is not just the food you know.

Now here’s my first take on weddings and the life after it. I want to share more but this is getting long. But I do hope it will help in some ways on your preparation. Enjoy the preparation!!! :) 

Here are some sites to visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment