Translate

Tuesday 24 September 2013

A Lesson from My Japanese Student

This has been bugging my thoughts for a week now.

You see, I teach Japanese students. I have one particular student who happened to be very good in English already. So what we do is we just chat and talk about life. One time, I asked him about his dreams and goals. I also asked him if he thinks FAITH in GOD is essential to accomplish his goals in life.

Plainly, he told me that he doesn't believe in God and he'd rather give his all and work and have the credit for himself. He doesn't want to have faith on anyone.

I am not shocked (nor do I judge him) with his answer. I am aware that they have a different worldview when it comes to faith and religion. What shocked me the most is the fact that somehow, unknowingly I think this way also.

At times, I just work and give my all but fail to ask God for strength, guidance and wisdom. I sometimes forget God and go on with my small victories. My so-called faith in God becomes a lip service. My thoughts are sometimes consumed on how to accomplish my goals and how to achieve perfection and then God isn't in the picture anymore.

It's just ironic that this realization occurs in the middle of a conversation with my atheist student. I quickly ask for forgiveness to the Lord--for my unbelief and self-reliance. I wouldn't want to live my life without His guidance and wisdom. I feel that without Him, everything would just be in vain.

I do believe in God and I have to be conscious everyday that I exist for Him alone. With that, the works of my hands will have purpose and meaning. With that, my faith would be evident ...and who knows, it will even be used to make those who do not believe BELIEVE.




No comments:

Post a Comment