Translate

Friday 4 October 2013

J-POP 101

Why is it that young people nowadays like pop so much?

Okay, I admit, I'm a classic-fan. I do not belong to the era of Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, One Direction and the likes. I don't listen to them and I don't care.Well, I have this Japanese student who's been telling me about her love for Taylor Swift, One Direction and this pop male group in Japan called Arashi. I don't have much to say because I don't know anything about them. But I couldn't just shrug and shut her off. I want to understand her. So, I began searching about them in google (thanks for my ever reliable friend GOOGLE). I realized that I've seen them somewhere (maybe some drama in the television imported from Japan. One of the group member was actually the lead role for Hana Yori Dango-Japan's version of Boys Over Flower/Meteor Garden). When I told her, I saw Arashi's videos and finally, I got something to say about them, she talked non-stop about them. She actually gave me links on Arashi's videos. 


This song is very popular in Japan and she said she knows the dance also. (And oh men...the melody kept on ringing in my head since then. Hahaha the effect of J-pop!) 

I realized that I am now old(er) and that, I have lost in touch with what is happening out there. I've been hiding in my own little world, not conscious of these all. I judge things according to my standards and to what I have experienced during my youth (not that it's bad, it's just incomplete). And then it hit me! In a few years time, I'll have my own children and they'll be exposed to a different world. I then resolved that no matter how old I get, I will continue to learn. I will continue to study what's out there--good or bad so I can relate. So I can openly tell my children & the generation of today the things that are beneficial and not beneficial.  I will have the wisdom to tell them that, not only because I know my standards and what I believe in but also because I exposed myself to it and have studied it with wisdom from the Lord. 




No comments:

Post a Comment